1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and mashed
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup date or coconut sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup grated zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, mashed avocado, flaxseeds, and sugar. Beat until creamy. Mix in vanilla and lemon zest.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Fold in the zucchini. Pour the batter into a silicon or nonstick 8 x 4″ baking pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the top is very firm to touch and the sides are pulling away from the pan.
5. Let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
We started with the Zecret Zucchini Bread recipe in the Forks Over Knives Cookbook. We left out the allspice, walnuts, and raisins.
For some reason, we thought this would be more like a sandwich bread, but it was much more like banana bread. It made a wonderful healthy dessert for the week.
It was much simpler to make than it seemed at first glance. My husband and I made it together. He mixed ingredients while I prepped ingredients. It took us about 15 minutes.