This is one of our favorite recipes. We found it on our favorite website: Nora Cooks. We’ve tweaked it for our diet and our tastes.
- 1 lb whole grain ziti or penne noodles
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 25 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
- Soak cashews in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, and onion powder.
- Blend until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed.
- Add the cooked noodles to the casserole dish.
- Pour the marinara sauce on top of noodles and stir to combine.
- Spoon the cashew cheese on top and stir gently.
- Sprinkle vegan Parmesan on the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
We made this for my non-vegan mother, and she loved it. It makes 8 servings, which we find usually feeds 4 people. I’ve never seen anyone eat it without eating 2 servings!
Be sure not to increase the garlic or the lemon juice. The combination of the two replicates the taste of salt, so if you increase either one, the meal gets too salty.
If you can’t eat pasta, try making this with a vegetable noodle. We like to eat it with salad, but if you’re a meat eater, you could eat this as a side with a salad and meat.